Antique Russian silver beaker with repoussé and chased design depicting two bogatyrs, heroic warriors from Slavic folklore. Cyrillic inscription along bottom: “zastava bogatyrskaya,” meaning “bogatyrs’ outpost.”
Russian, ca. 1900.
Height: 3 7/16
Russian gilded silver and enamel kovsh, decorated with a polychrome scrolling floral design and twisted rope border, the bowl terminating with an acorn finial.
A kovsh is a type of Russian drinking vessel, the oval shape modeled from a boat, with some versions designed as birds and ducks. Originally made of wood, silver versions emerged in the 16th century as the form increasingly assumed a ceremonial status.
Moscow, late 19th century.
4-3/8 x 2-1/4 x 2-1/4
Art Deco onyx and diamond pendant earrings, designed with a cabochon onyx post suspending a row of eight brilliant cut diamonds, terminating in an onyx ring with a brilliant cut diamond dangling in the center.
Henri Picq founded his workshop in the late 19th century. In 1900 he began producing fine platinum jewelry for Cartier, becoming one of their top suppliers into the 1930s and 1940s. He was a master of Art Deco, which these earrings demonstrate.
By Henri Picq, Paris, ca. 1929. With original invoice.
Length: 2 in.
Victorian three stone ring set with an oval alexandrite and two old European cut diamonds, set in a carved gold mount.
Alexandrite is a rare, color-changing form of chrysoberyl. Depending on the light source, the stone changes color, ranging from green to red. Discovered in the emerald mines of Russia’s Ural Mountains in 1830, the stone was named after the young Alexander II, as it was discovered on the future czar’s twelfth birthday. The stone’s colors coincidentally matched the colors of the Russian Imperial Guard, and so it became the national stone of Imperial Russia. Natural alexandrite is quite rare. Primarily found in Russia, deposits were also later found in Sri Lanka and Brazil.
English, ca. 1890.
Fabergé silver-mounted Cumnock Pottery Motto Ware teapot and sugar bowl. The teapot features the Scottish motto “Tak a dish o’ Tea it’s unco refreshin,” which means, “Take a dash of tea it’s uncommonly refreshing.” The sugar bowl features the motto, “Be canny wi’ the sugar,” which means, “Be careful with the sugar.”
This set speaks beautifully to Fabergé’s interest in mounting compelling porcelain and glass objects from other sources. This included decorative objects made locally in Russia, and abroad, such as this Cumnock Pottery, as well as Royal Doulton Burslem, Tiffany, and Gallé.
Established in Ayrshire, Scottland in 1792, Cumnock Pottery is most famous for its Motto Ware, which the company began producing around 1830. These pieces were inscribed with a favorite Scottish quote and usually requested for special occasions like weddings and christenings.
The pottery, Scottish, late 19th century.
The silver mounts, Fabergé, Moscow, ca. 1895.
Teapot height: 5 in.
Sugar bowl height: 5-1/2 in.
We’ve put together a selection of jewels to complement summer ensembles: sun-kissed gold, gemstones in shades of blue, yellow, and green, with bejeweled flowers, fish, and other critters.
Victorian European cut diamond drop earrings with gold and black enamel spherical “coach covers.” Also known as “opera covers,” the covers concealed the valuable diamonds while traveling, such as a night out at the opera.
Retailed by the London firm Hunt & Roskell, formerly Storr & Mortimer, with original box.
The firm Hunt & Roskell dates back to the early 19th century, when Paul Storr established his firm Storr & Co. in 1819. Within a few years he partnered first with John Mortimer, followed soon after by John Samuel Hunt. When Storr retired in 1838, the firm was renamed Mortimer & Hunt. Upon Mortimer’s retirement in 1843, the firm became Hunt & Roskell. At this time the firm comprised John Samuel Hunt and his son John Hunt, Robert Roskell Jn. (son of the Liverpool watchmaker Robert Roskell), and Charles Frederick Hancock. The firm increasingly gained recognition over the years, making jewelry for Queen Victoria and exhibiting in the 1851 London Great Exhibition and many others, including New York in 1851 and Paris in 1867.
Victorian pendant with radiant-cut peridot accented with four old mine diamonds, suspending a fancy-cut peridot drop, set in silver and gold.
The bright, green stone peridot has long been associated with light, with the ancient Egyptians calling it “the gem of the sun.” Beliefs in its protective powers persisted through the ages – worn around the neck or bound to the left arm, peridot became an amulet against evil spirits, night terrors, and sorcery. Superstitions aside, it’s a beautiful stone!
English, ca. 1880.
Length: 1 1/2 inches
18k two-color gold box link chain.
American, ca. 1900.
Length: 83 inches
Damascene (inlaid gold and steel) cuff.
Angela Cummings for Tiffany & Co., ca. 1980.
Width: 2 inches